Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Make-Your-Own Pizza

I have been watching one of the little ones in my neighborhood off and on for a couple of weeks.  He is a lot of fun and I thought that all three kids (mine included) would love to make their own pizzas for lunch yesterday.  It was a big hit and their pizzas looked awesome!


I've found when my kids help cook, they are more inclined to eat it, and less arguing at the dinner table makes for a happier mommy! 


Of course, I had to play in the dough too!  Mine was loaded up with fresh spinach and green peppers.


I made a 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white flour dough.  We topped it off with some simple marinara that I defrosted from the freezer, and some pre-shredded mozzarella cheese.

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 tbsp olive oil

Throw all of the ingredients in a standing mixer with a dough hook and knead until a soft, non-sticky dough ball forms.  Cover in a lightly oiled bowl and allow to rise for about 1 1/2 hours. 

Cut the amount of dough you want for each pizza and shape accordingly.  I made 4 small pizzas or this would also make 2 "medium" pizzas about 12-14" each.  Cover with plastic wrap and allow dough to rest about 20 minutes before you add any toppings.  Add sauce and any desired toppings.  Bake at 450 for 12-15 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment