Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

Sometimes you just need a cookie...

We had a busy day today! After getting the kids pictures taken at Picture People with my Aunt Debbie, cousin Barb, and her son Ben, we had to hit the jungle gym to blow off some steam :)
Ben on the slide

Emma and Aiden
Of course, we had to see Santa too :)

Picture compliments of Aiden (I didn't even know he took it until I downloaded tonight)
And hit the fountain to throw in some pennies...


Next we hit Red Robin where my parents met us for lunch.  We had a blast and I wouldn't change a thing...except for the fact that I ate too much! At least I got a veggie burger so I don't feel AS bad when I ate all my fries :) 

We just got home a little bit ago and I have no idea what I am going to make for dinner.  Emma said she wanted cookies for a snack and I didn't argue.  I made them healthier by making them vegan and by using spelt flour instead of white.  I adapted an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe from the cookbook "Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan" by Dreena Burton.  They were by far the best Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies I ever made.

Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Eat, Drink and Be Vegan

Ingredients:
1 cup spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup oats (or 1/4 cup oats and 1/4 cup barley flakes)
1/4 cup organic unbleached sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (I use grade B)
1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses
1 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup chocolate chips (use vegan choc chips for a true vegan cookie)

Put all of the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and stir until incorporated.  The batter will be thick.


Place mounds of dough on a cookie sheet.  I used the pampered chef medium scoop and got 10 cookies out of this batter.
Bake at 350 for 11 minutes.  Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely (or eat while still warm like we did!).  They will still be soft in the middle when you transfer them so be careful.  They firm up as they cool. 

Enjoy with a big glass of milk soy milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment