Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

I missed the contest

I have been eyeing up a contest that started on another blog for 2 weeks.  The rules were to make a recipe that highlights vanilla.  Not too hard right? I didn't think so until I realized I was out of vanilla.  I always have a back up...until I use the back up and forget about it (shame on me). 

I use vanilla paste in my baked goods instead of vanilla extract.  The vanilla paste is more concentrated and even has little specks of vanilla beans in there.  It really makes a huge difference in baked goods (in my opinion) and is easier and cheaper than using straight up vanilla beans.  Anyway, I had no vanilla, and the store where I buy my paste had no vanilla.  Enter Amazon.com where I found the vanilla to the left of the post.  This is a great deal being that it is only $18.94 and you get a pack of 3.  I usually use the nielsen-massey brand, but this one was cheaper so I decided to try it out.  I really liked it (and no...amazon isn't paying me to type this...just wanted to share a tip :)

Needless to say, I missed the contest.  I made my dessert but I was a couple of days late with the entry and didn't think I would be able to get enough votes anyway.  Just because I missed it, doesn't mean you all should suffer right? Enter dessert...

Vanilla Pound Cake with Raspberries and Creme Anglaise


Vanilla Pound Cake
Slightly adapted from King Author Flour (www.kingauthorflour.com)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 sticks butter (I used salted)
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla paste
1 tsp almond extract
5 large eggs
2 cups unbleached white flour

Preheat the oven to 350.  Grease a loaf pan with butter and set aside. 

Using a standing mixer, or hand-held, mix together the butter and cream cheese until combined on medium speed.  Add the sugar, baking powder, vanilla and almond and beat until well combined scraping the sides as you go.

Now, add the eggs one at a time making sure the one before is incorporated when you add the next.  Turn the mixer up to medium-high and beat for about 3-4 minutes.  You will see the volume increase the longer it beats. 

Turn down the speed to medium-low and add the flour a little at a time.  Don't overbeat this time and turn off the mixer as soon as all of the flour is incorporated. 

The batter will be thick so spoon it into the loaf pan.  Put the cake on a baking sheet in case there is spill over and bake for 60-75 minutes.  Check it with a toothpick after 60.

Allow to cool in the pan about 15-20 minutes and then put on a rack to cool completely.  Top it with the Creme Anglaise sauce below or with ice cream...it was soo good you can even eat it plain :)

Creme Anglaise (basically a vanilla sauce...not thick like pudding, but thicker than cream)

Ingredients:
1 cup light cream
1 cup 1% milk (or two cups of what you have on hand - this is what I had)
2 tsp vanilla paste
1/3 cup sugar
4 egg yolks (from large eggs)

Add milk and cream to a saucepan.  Add the vanilla and cook over medium heat about 6 minutes.  Don't let the milk mixture boil.  Remove the pan from the heat.

While the milk mixture is heating up, combine the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl.  Once the milk is hot, add the milk gradually to the egg mixture a little at a time.  I used a ladle.  Stir constantly with a whisk. 

Thanks to my photographer - Aiden!
Once you get all of the milk mixture into the egg one, put the saucepan back on the stove.  Cook another 5-6 minutes over medium heat or until thickened (it will coat the back of a spoon).  Whisk constantly, and again...no boiling!

Pour into a bowl, cover, and chill. 

Don't turn your back or your cake may get eaten!

No comments:

Post a Comment