Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chocolate Chip Biscotti

I wanted to make something new today and decided since it was a snowy day and I had a pot of coffee going, biscotti seemed to be the perfect choice.  My mom sent me a White Chocolate Macadamia Biscotti recipe a while ago but unfortunately I didn't have either of the star ingredients on hand.  I did have some mini chocolate chips, so Chocolate Chip Biscotti it was...


Chocolate Chip Biscotti
adapted from Cindy Walter

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (I used salted...it is all I buy)
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
2 tablespoons Amaretto
2 1/4 cups uncleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar (I used my kitchenaid).  Beat in eggs, vanilla, and Amaretto.  Add flour and baking powder.  Mix in chips last. 

Butter a baking pan and set aside.  On a lightly floured worksurface, split dough in half to make two logs.  Bake for 25-27 minutes.


When they come out, the logs will still look like they aren't cooked all the way.  That's ok!


Allow them to cool for 5 minutes or so, and then slice using a serrated knife.  I got 10 pieces out of each log (not counting the ends that the kids and I ate).


Bake an additional 8-10 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom.  They should feel firm on the edges.  The middles will firm up more as they cool.  Remove from the pan and place on wire cooling racks.

While cooling, start making the chocolate dip (if using).  I microwaved 2/3 cup of mini chocolate chips with 2-3 tbsp fat free vanilla creamer.  I swear, creamer isn't just for coffee! :) Once all of the chocolate is melted, dip one end of the biscotti in the chocolate and place on a cooling rack covered in wax paper.  This chip/creamer ratio covered 16 biscotti.  I ran out of chocolate chips or else I would have used more.  I think 1 cup chips and 4 tbsp creamer would be perfect for all 20 biscotti.


Allow the chocolate to set before serving.  As you can see, the kids could hardly wait to dig in.  These were a definite crowd pleaser.

*Note - these biscotti are not the crispy kind you buy in the coffee shop. They are firm on the edges but slightly soft in the center. 

1 comment: